Onto JBoss AS 5: JBoss Web released November 17, 2008Posted by Sacha in JBoss.
Tags: JBoss Web, Tomcat
But first, what is JBoss Web? You can see it as our customized version of Tomcat or more simply “JBoss Tomcat++”. And the reason is that we wanted to add things like:
- Native libraries leveraging Apache APR and OpenSSL for optimal performance and scalability,
- Highly flexible URL rewriting module,
- Advanced event driven Servlet API, including non blocking IO, which greatly expands on the Apache Tomcat 6.0 Comet API,
- Comet support using Apache Tomcat Bayeux API,
- NIO optimized character IO,
- PHP support,
- mod_cluster support,
The idea was to provide an optimized binary including everything our users need and “sanitized” to remove anything we think they shouldn’t be using. Also, when ran as part of JBoss AS, it provides a clean integration with our fancy deployers, meta-data layer, classloading, etc.
Still, JBoss Web is not a new product, and the reason for that blog entry is that just released JBoss Web 2.1.1 is the specific version which will be embedded as the web container inside JBoss AS 5. So if you want to test it now, we would appreciate your feedback!